Chargrilled, Herby, Lemon Marinated Artichokes
makes 1 500ml jar
2 lemons, zest from 1 peeled into strips and zest zested from the other
Dried or fresh thyme, oregano & rosemary, chopped or picked
Dried chilli flakes
Olive oil (cooking quality)
200ml white wine vinegar
large bowl; potato peeler; knife and chopping board, 2 small pans, measuring jug, 500ml jar, small heat proof sieve
1) Zest one lemon and peel the other
2) Fill a bowl with cold water and squeeze in the juice of 1 of the lemons
3) Using a small knife remove the dark green outer leaves from the artichokes, until the pale green/yellow leaves show. Trim the stalks to around 2cm from the base, quarter, trim the head to around 5cm, and remove the inner fuzzy stuff with a teaspoon. Rub with the remaining lemon you just squeezed, and place into the lemon water as soon as possible
4) In a pan bring 10cm or so to the boil. Add the peeled lemon rind and 100ml vinegar. Add the artichokes and simmer for 15-20 minutes depending on how large they are, until soft.
5) Steralise a clean 500ml jar and lid by placing it in a 100C oven for 20mins
6) Drain the artichokes when ready and mix with a good drizzle of olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper
7) Heat a griddle pan on high heat, be careful to keep water and liquids at a distance and do not add oil to the pan. Griddle the artichokes until partially charred and softened. Tip into the steralised jar.
8) In a small pan bring 100ml vinegar to almost boiling point. In another small pan warm 300ml olive oil with the peppercorns, lemon zest and herbs. When the lemon starts to sizzle and turn bright yellow fish it out (using a small heatproof sieve) along with the peppercorns, herbs and chilli. Mix into the jar containting the artichokes. Pour the vinegar into the jar and top up with oil until full.
The artichokes will keep in the fridge for up to a week